Indie Comic Roundup
Lots of comics and words about them. Not as long as previous weeks, but I’ve still got some things to talk about!
- This week on Drawn Words, I had the chance to review a beautifully illustrated book published by Fantagraphics called Ghosts and Ruins, written and drawn by Ben Catmull. I also talked about Beach Girls, written by Box Brown and published by Retrofit Comics, featuring a small story by James Kochalka.
- The Harvey Award winners for 2013 have been announced! Comics Reporter has the scoop, with a list of winners in each category.
- Boom! announced today that it’d be publishing a comic book about a dinosaur in space, created by the same dudes who currently do the Adventure Time comic book. Weird, I pitched a cartoon to Nick last year about dinosaurs in space…
- There’s a preview up of issue #38 of Brandon Graham‘s Prophet (pictured above) right now. This issue is featuring artwork by some amazing artists, like James Stokoe, Ron Wimberly, and Helen Maier. Check out some more images of the upcoming issue on Comics Alliance.
- Yeti Press launched a Kickstarter on Saturday to raise $10,000 to start a comic subscription service for their books. They’ve already raised over $6,000. There’s 30 days left to donate, please consider at least $10 to help out. They make some solid titles.
- Picked up issue #2 of Jeff Lemire’s Trillium last Wednesday. It’s grand. Don’t miss out on your opportunity to join in on this thrilling title from DC Vertigo.
- Read this article by Heidi MacDonald of Comics Beat that asks if we should even try giving indie comics a wider cultural context. It’s good stuff.
As always, you can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and send me an email. We can exchange letters and you can perhaps send me a copy of your comic book to review. Or just shoot the shit — I love emails either way!
Until next week.