Indie Comic Roundup
It’s time for my weekly link dump of all things comics-related on the lesser known and not Marvel/DC side of things. Today’s got links featuring Drawn & Quarterly, a sweet Mondo print by Paolo Rivera, Sean Phillips and Ed Brubaker, some links to charities and donation sites due to this week’s holiday season and recent troublesome events, reviews by yours truly, some lists to top off 2013 in comics, and a whole lot of other tidbits.
Read on for a catchup on all things comics in the last week.
- As usual, important news stuff is at the top. Stan Sakai, author ofUsagi Yojimbo, needs some donation help. His wife is currently ill and needs 24-hour care and medicines that Sakai’s insurance cannot fully insure. Donations are currently down due to PayPal issues, but artists are encouraged to donate original pieces to CAPS (The Cartoon Art Professional Society) for an organized auction in which all proceeds will be going directly to Sakai to support his wife. If interested in donating, call 310-365-8457 or fill this form out and mail it to the address on said form. If you still would like to donate, bookmark this page and wait shortly as issues with PayPal will be sorted soon.
- Rest in peace to the legendary Al Plastino, famous for his work on Superman and co-creating Supergirl. He was 91.
- Rina Ayuyang created a big auction on Ebay to raise money for the Philippines and their typhoon relief. Peep it and grab some new art.
- Fantagraphics is extremely close to hitting $200,000 on their Kickstarter for their 2014 spring season catalog of books. They have met their goal weeks ago, but extra money will definitely be going to a great publisher. They will be funded in 8 days.
- I reviewed issue #1 of a comic book called Chicken Outfit. Very impressed with the comic, happy to see a comedy/horror comic that isn’t afraid of being gruesome and entertaining.
- Here’s an awesome interview with Bill Willingham about his new Fables spinoff, Fairest in All the Land, conducted by Brian Truitt of USA Today.
- Paolo Riverapaid tribute to EC Comics’ Wally Wood with the last Mondo print offered. It’s already sold out (sorry if you’re just now hearing about this), but you can gaze in awe at the print here.
- Rob Kirby posted his third annual list compiling his favorite mini-comics and self-published works of the year 2013. It’s a great read if you’re looking for something solid to read that’s also fairly new.
- Tom of TCR posted a Collective Memory of Thought Bubble 2013, filled with a video and tons of galleries from the event. Thought Bubble took place in Leeds.
- Drawn and Quarterly is having a massive sale on their titles. 40% off a ton of great books. Get them now through December 2.
- Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips might be seeing their series, Sleeper, adapted into film, thanks to producers Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. The Shield creator Shawn Ryan and collaborator David Wiener will be writing the screenplay. No director attached yet.
- The Globe has created a 10 best comics list for the year. Several names listed on this one page are great, including Michael DeForge and Gilbert Hernandez.
- Washington Post created a 10 best comics of the year list. It’s all there. Includes a bunch of books I highly recommend.